The links to your website are one of the most important factors for high search engine rankings. Many webmasters are sure that inbound links (link to your site) are the most important factor.
If you want to get high search engine rankings on Google, Yahoo and other major search engines, then your website must have many good inbound links.
The Basics of Links Building
It is not possible to get high rankings on Google, Yahoo or other major search engines without good links. Google will only list your website in their search results if they find at least one other website that links to your site.
The more other websites link to your website, the higher your search engine rankings will be. The idea behind this concept is simple: if many other websites link to your website then your website must be important.
In addition to the sheer number of the links, the quality of the links is also important.
Now you’ll learn:
• how links influence the success of your website • how links to other websites can affect your search engine rankings • how to decide if a link is a quality link or not • which links don’t work with search engines How links influence the success of your website There are two main types of links: • links from other websites to your website (inbound links) • links from your website to other websites (outbound links)
Both can influence the success of your website
How links to other websites can affect your search engine rankings
Inbound links influence your website in many ways:
1. All major search engines use inbound links to rank websites. If your site has many good inbound links then you’ll have high rankings on the search engines.
2. Other websites send you new visitors through the links. If you have just 500 links pointing to your site and each site sends you in average only 3 visitors per day, then you’ll get 1,500 targeted visitors per day.
3. Exchanging reciprocal links with other sites will build a great link directory. Your visitors will bookmark your site and visit your site again and again because you can offer them a valuable resource: your link directory.
The links to your website should be high quality links. Details about the quality of links can be found in the chapter High quality links and low quality links.
How to decide if a link is a quality link or not
While most webmasters are aware that incoming links are important to the success of a website, many site owners don’t know that outgoing links also have an impact on their websites.
1. The positive side of outbound links
Links to other websites show your website visitors that your website can be trusted. You wouldn’t send visitors to other pages if they could find negative information about your products or services on other sites.
Links add value to your website, they show your visitors that you have nothing to hide and that you have confidence in your site. The websites to which you link help your website visitors to put your website into a larger context. If you link to high quality sites with useful content, web surfers will associate your website with these high quality sites.
If you don’t have outgoing links or if you hide your links, then you send your visitors back to search engines. If you offer your website visitors links, you can send leaving visitors to other websites that can send you their visitors in return. Carefully chosen links to outside resources can improve the experience of visitors who visit your website.
Don’t be afraid that you drive people away by offering links on your website. You either have interesting content on your website or you have not. People eventually will leave your website, no matter how interesting your website is. Even you don’t visit your own website all the time.
2. The negative side of outbound links
Links to other websites can also have a negative effect. If you link to websites that are obviously spammers then search engines might ban your website from their search results.
Just use common sense, if a website looks shady or if the techniques on that website look to good to be true (for example: “Get 500 links per day with our automated system”) then don’t link to that website.
High Quality Links and Low Quality Links
As soon as it was clear that inbound links are extremely important to get high rankings on Google, webmasters tried to manipulate the number of links that pointed to their websites.
Webmasters submitted their websites to thousands of FFA (free-for-all) websites and they created automated linking schemes to artificially increase the number of inbound links.
For that reason, search engines improved the way they evaluated links. Nowadays, it’s not enough to have many inbound links. The quality of the links is also important.
Some links will help you to increase your search engine rankings, others don’t.
Adam Khan: Visit Today Argos Sports Fitness and Exercise Equipment Specialists